Major events, such as sporting events, concerts, galas, banquets, and more require extensive planning, including food preparations, guest lists, decorations, and special event security personnel. The larger the event, the more security personnel is required due to an increased risk for terrorists, criminals, and protesters. However, not all problems occur because of terrorists or criminals. Weather, equipment failure, and accidents can also influence the safety and security of guests, performers, or speakers of any major event.
When employing special event security personnel, the following 5 steps should be completed:
1. Collect and assess information regarding the event. This includes identifying stakeholders who have an interest in the event, facilitating outreach to the community, identifying a project manager, and obtaining necessary permits.
2. Assess Possible Event Risks. This includes accounting for potential road closure, increased security, and EMS personnel. Security personnel should account for any delays that may occur after the event. Personnel should also prepare contingency plans for emergencies.
3. Assess any external factors that may affect the event. This includes creating a traffic management plan checklist for any concurrent event. Security personnel should obtain an estimated attendance count. They should also determine what events are held concurrently within a 50 to 100 mile radius.
4. Develop a contingency plan. This includes plans for severe weather, security threats, delayed or cancelled events, unruly spectator behavior, protests or demonstrations, traffic incidents, etc.
5. Plan operations for the event. Security personnel should identify the goals and objectives for the event. This includes minimizing travel delays to and from the event, maintaining access for EMS personnel, as well as determining the volume of expected traffic and delays.
Planning and carrying out security measures is a complicated part of any event. To make sure your event goes off without a hitch, contact us to ensure your event has highly qualified and trained security personnel.